This research theme focuses on heritage and archaeology in situations of conflict, war and natural disaster and the problems facing the protection of heritage around the world. It highlights the diversity in experiences and values associated with heritage, including the heritage of indigenous peoples. The research coordinator of Heritage under Threat is Dominique Ngan-Tillard together with Naomi Oosterman.
- The active political uses of heritage in conflict and war
- The impact of conflict, natural disasters and other threats to cultural heritage
- New technologies for detecting, interpreting, recording and safeguarding heritage
- First aid to damaged cultural heritage in post-conflict and post-disaster areas
- Heritage in situations of conflict and war in the recent past
- Heritage and indigenous rights
- Issues of ownership