We are organising a course on the Landscape Biography in English in January-March 2023!
Purpose and structure of the training course
The training aims to introduce students and professionals in the fields of heritage, landscape, planning and design to the possibilities of the Landscape Biography.
The components of this training course (readings, lectures, presentations and discussions, a field trip and a practical assignment) enable participants to deepen their knowledge of the Landscape Biography and to gain an overview of various perspectives and methods. During the training participants carry out a field study related to their own professional interest.
Number of participants: maximum 25
Price: to be announced soon
- Academic researchers (including PhD researchers).
- Researchers, consultants and policy makers working in the public and private sectors; organizations in the fields of nature and landscape, cultural heritage, tourism and recreation.
- Urban planners, architects, landscape architects.
- Interested persons with other professional backgrounds.
Preliminary Programme (subject to change)
Period: January - March 2023
- Webinar 19 January, 13-16h:
- Introduction to the course programme (Karin Stadhouders)
- Introduction to landscape biography
- prof. dr. Jan Kolen: The landscape biography in theory and practice
- Instructions and help regarding the assignment (Karin Stadhouders)
- Webinar 26 January, 13-16h:
- Lectures on different uses of landscape biography.
- Field visit 23 February: Atlantikwall, Den Haag, 10-17h:
- Short Lecture on the Atlantikwall (inc. cultural history and future developments) Venue: Den Haag tba.
- Guided cycle tour along the Atlantikwall trajectory in Den Haag, focusing on layeredness below and above the Atlantikwall remains illustrating the concept of the Landscape Biography.
- Seminar 16 March, 10-17h:
- Presentations by course participants on their field studies. Venue: Leiden (LU)
- Review and discussion
You can contact Rients de Boer (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are already interested